Friday, June 8, 2012

Trusting God II


Now that I have been reading the Scriptures with fresh eyes, it is becoming more and more obvious to me how distant my spirituality is from what God teaches in both the Old and New Testaments.

The problem that we have in the Western world is that we have lost the dependence on God that the Israelites and early Christians so obviously had. We now put trust in things like technology to make us comfortable, trust the media to teach and inform us, trust the government to keep us safe, and trust ourselves to manage our lives. I had become dependant on almost everything other than God to help and sustain me. It’s no surprise that I had so much trouble trusting God! I actually trusted more in all those other things than in the God who has them all in His control! It’s equally no surprise why I was constantly left disappointed and frustrated when all those things failed to deliver. It is only God that has complete control, and is completely dedicated to my best interests. It is only God who is worthy of complete trust. This may all sound rather trite to most Christians, but the faith and trust of those first Christians seems to be a whole other world away:

“And all that believed were together, and had all things common; And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. Acts 2:44-47

"and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.
And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name"  Acts 5:40-41



God desperately wants us to be dependant on Him, and Him alone (Psalm 6:27-9, 18; 44:5-7; 55:22; 118; 118:8-9; 146:3, Proverbs 3:5, Isaiah 31:1, 1 Tim 6:17). The more that I have been reading the Scriptures the more that this has becomes obvious to me. In order to fully trust in God it seems that I have to eradicate the errant Western worldview from my mind, and instead apply the principles for proper spirituality that that Scriptures teach.



No comments:

Post a Comment